Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Really? Yes. Really.

Another long rant from an upset person...
The next chapter in the "Janna's Feet" saga.

Ugh. I called the doctor's office today, because it's been TWO WEEKS since the x-rays, and no one called me about anything.
What they said two weeks ago was that they'd call me as soon as the results arrived. If bone damage was confirmed, we'd proceed with treating it. If the problem was non-bone-related, we'd move on to the next step, which is scheduling an MRI.

So I've been waiting all this time for those results, and hadn't heard anything.

When I called today, the desk person seemed surprised to hear from me, as if they weren't even quite sure who I was.
They put me on hold for a long time.

When they came back, they said the x-ray results were "stable", so they'd decided there really wasn't any need to call me back at all.

"Stable? ... Meaning what, exactly?" I said.

"You have a stable degenerative disease," she explained. "It's no different than it was before."

"Yes, it IS," I emphasized. "It's getting worse. I can barely walk. I hobble around on two canes. The pain medication isn't working. We need to pursue this."

"....Okay?" She said, unsure of what exactly to do.

"We need to pursue this," I repeated. "We can't just ignore it. It's getting worse."

"....Okay?" She repeated. "Well, I can tell the doctor if you want, but she won't be able to see you for quite a few days."

"Wasn't anyone going to call me and tell me about the results?" I asked. "How did I just fall through the cracks like that?"

"Well," she tried explaining, "If the results show that there isn't really a problem, our policy is that we DON'T call the person back."

My mouth hung open in disbelief. "I was told I'd receive a call one way or the other."

"...Okay?" She repeated.

"If the x-rays really showed no problem, we were supposed to move onto the next stage, which involved an MRI."

"...Okay?"

I sighed, realizing I was getting absolutely nowhere. "When's the earliest I can make an appointment?"

"Next week... January 6th.... 9:30."

"I'll take it. Let's please do that."

So... here we go.
Again.

2 comments:

nonamedufus said...

Well at least they didn't tell you that you don't have a leg to stand on. Baddoom-boom. Sorry, Janna, that's probably over the top. I'm really sorry to hear about the problems you're facing. I have serious neuropathy in my lower legs and feet as a result of chemo medication I was prescribed. I identify with what you're going through and I'm sending you my best wishes for improvement. Whatever happens, don't stop blogging. That was a big hit for Journey, wasn't it?

Janna said...

nonamedufus: I sympathize! Also I now seem to have a Journey song stuck in my head...